Adding Mixed Numbers Unlike Denominators – with Video Tutorials that Make Sense

Adding Mixed Numbers with Unlike Denominators

Mixed numbers, like 3 ¾, can be very confusing for children who are learning to work with fractions.  Unless children are taught to illustrate the addition and subtraction of fractions, they can really struggle.  In this sixth Video-Post, I will demonstrate how to add mixed numbered fractions that have unlike denominators.  I encourage you to start with the first video-post and work your way up, because each post will build upon what was taught in the last.

Six-Video-Posts

1. An Introduction to Illustrating Fractions
  2. Adding Fractions with Common Denominators
  3. Subtracting Fractions with Common Denominators
  4. Adding Fractions with Unlike Denominators
  5. Subtracting Fractions with Unlike Denominators
  6. Adding Mixed Numbers
  7. Subtracting Mixed Numbers

How to use these Video-Posts

These Video-Post are designed in a similar manner to how I teach a concept in my class.

• First, children will be introduced to a concept with a “WATCH ME” demonstrational video.
  • Next, children continue developing their skills by working side-by-side with me. They are given a problem and work through that problem, while they watch the “WORK WITH ME” video.
  • Finally, children perfect their skills by completing problems by themselves. Then they will watch the “ON YOUR OWN” videos.  These last videos encourage the child’s independent work, and then review the problem making sure that the child gains understanding.

Red Tailed Hawk

6.1- Watch Me
You are on a hike when you see a Red Tailed Hawk souring across the sky.  It is absolutely beautiful!  The hawk is circling round and round in two circles that form an 8.  The upper portion of the Eight is 2 & 3/4 miles around.  The lower portion of the Eight is 3 & 5/6 miles around.

How far does the Red Tailed Hawk fly each time he completes his figure-8 shape in the sky?

Your Challenge:
This one is easy.  Watch the video below to see how to add these fractions.  Pay close attention.  Your next challenge will be very similar to this one.

Hungry Chipmunk

6.2 – Work with Me
You are camping in Yellowstone National Park.  You are sitting on the picnic table at your campsite eating chips when a cute, little chipmunk scamper up to you.  You feed him 2 & 2/3 bags of chips.  The next day you are eating more chips when the friendly chipmunk reappears.  This time you feed him 2 & 3/5 bags.

How many bags of chips did you feed your Hungry Chipmunk?

Your Challenge:
This one is a little harder.
Gather the following materials:

• A blank piece of paper
  • A pencil
  • A Sharpie marker
  • Crayons
  • A highlighter

Watch and complete this challenge with me.  I will take you through a step-by-step process.  Together, we will solve this problem.
Pay close attention.  Your next challenge will be very similar to this one.

The Mural Project

6.3 – On Your Own
Your class was asked to create two murals for your school.  The murals will be painted on a number of walls near your school’s gymnasium.  Your teacher has chosen two art projects for the murals.  One is a drawing of Native Americans.  The other is a drawing of the people from your community.  You get to use 1 & 4/9 walls for one mural and 1 & 2/3 walls for the other drawing.

How many walls will be covered by these two drawings?

Your Challenge:
Gather the following materials:

• A blank piece of paper
  • A pencil
  • A Sharpie marker
  • Crayons
  • A highlighter
  • A blank piece of paper

Complete the illustration and the algorithm to find the answer to this problem.
Don’t worry if you make a mistake – Some of our biggest leaps in learning come when we make a mistake then see what we did wrong and fix it.
Once you have completed this challenge, click the play button on the video below:
Keep your paper with you while you watch the video.
If you make a mistake, pause the video and fix your mistake.
That’s the fastest way to learn!

Pool-Splash Party

6.4 – On Your Own
You are invited to a Pool-Splash Party at your friend’s house.  Your friend has become famous, because she dips her head in the water and then flings her hair back.  Her photos are all over the internet and you can’t wait to watch her do her “hair fling thing”.  In order to get from your house to her pool you will need to walk 1 & 1/2 miles to the bus stop.  Next, you will need to ride the bus another 2 & 5/8 miles before you reach her home.

How far will you travel when you go to the Pool-Splash Party?

Gather the following materials:

• A blank piece of paper
  • A pencil
  • A Sharpie marker
  • Crayons
  • A highlighter
  • A blank piece of paper

That’s the fastest way to learn!

Newspaper Reporter

6.5 – On Your Own
You are a reporter for your school newspaper.  This week’s topic is underwater exploration.  You have decided to write a similar story to the one written in the New York Times about the sinking of the Titanic.  Your best friend is writing another story about the famous oceanographer and filmmaker, Jacques Cousteau. Your story will use 2 & 2/3 pages.  Your friends story will use 1 & 5/7 pages.

How many pages will these two stories use of your school’s newspaper?

Gather the following materials:

• A blank piece of paper
  • A pencil
  • A Sharpie marker
  • Crayons
  • A highlighter
  • A blank piece of paper

That’s the fastest way to learn!

Pay close attention.  Your next challenge will be in the Video-Post entitled, Subtracting Mixed Numbered Fractions with Uncommon Denominators.  The concept builds from this one, so it is important that you understand how to illustrate fractions.

Want more Tutorials?

I’ve created an Educational Fantasy Game called, TeachersDungeon.  It is set to the Common Core Educational Standards, and is web-based, so it can be played on any device.  Many of the questions are accompanied by tutorials like the ones you saw here.

Novels by Brian McCoy

My Adventures with ChickenSpike – A Children’s Fantasy Book intended for readers in 2nd through 4th

RED – an Action & Adventure Novel intended for readers in Middle School

Let me know if there is any way I can help!
Until next time…
Have a great day – Brian McCoy